About The Farm - OUR ROOTS
Tucked beside the foothills of the Catskill mountains is our 40 acre, family-owned USDA Certified Organic Farm, Nightshade Farm. We are a partner in New York State’s Industrial Hemp Agricultural Pilot Program.
- We've been USDA Certified Organic since 2015, and added Hemp to our certification in 2018.
- We purchased our farm on 4/20/2007 (a true act of fruition) and have been improving and protecting the ecology that nurtures it.
- We became USDA Good Agricultural Practices & Good Handling Practices Certified in 2018. To prevent any risk of microbial contamination during every phase of growing and handling our Hemp Crop, we voluntarily adhere to our strict USDA GAP/GHP Food Safety Plan. Like the vegetables we grow, we believe it's our duty as farmers to protect the purity, safety and quality of our crops, so they may be used to heal and nourish. You won't see any pictures of cute furry pets posing next to our crops in our production areas or fields!
- Hemp is a bio-accumulator, meaning that it readily absorbs heavy metals and/or pesticides, whether naturally occurring or a result of agricultural practices. This makes it difficult to find land suitable for growing hemp for cannabinoid production. Both our soil and crop bear no traces of heavy metals or pesticides, making our full spectrum oil safe for our customers.
- Drilling a deep well for irrigation in 2017, we tapped into an ancient aquifer of pristine water. We believe our water is one of the most crucial elements in the cultivation and production of our hemp.
- We are a true family farm, with three young future farmers growing alongside our hemp. We're not just growing crops, we're growing the next generation’s stewards of the land.